Rock Fists

Rock Fists

Friday, October 21, 2011

Weekend at Thaler's

It's an All Testosterone weekend here at Casa de Thaler..  Amy is off with Cadi (our beloved 4 legged friend) to Maine for the weekend to visit friends for her birthday.  A nice getaway she desperately needs and deserves..

Surprisingly enough the boys were in a great mood..  Usually by the end of the week they are so exhausted Friday nights are easy.. They're in bed pretty early and asleep not long after laying their cute little heads down on the Spiderman pillow cases.. However this week has been a little different.. 

Mitch had been running a high fever off and on since Sunday evening..  It would go up to 102 and then back down to 97.  Max had a doctor's appointment Tuesday morning so when I went to drop him off, daycare told me that Mitch wasn't feeling well.  They took his temp and it was 101.8.  Looks like I was working from home.  He slept for the afternoon and woke up drenched like one of those hot summer nights with no air conditioning.  I figured his fever broke so he'd be good to go. 

Unfortunately, he woke up Wednesday morning and his back could have lit a camp fire it was so hot..  I decided it was time to see what was up..  We sent Max to school and took Mitch to the doctor.  He was such a rock star!  Normally he's pretty good, but this was different.  He was pleasant and courteous, he did everything the doctor asked him to and when it came time for the strep test, he just stuck out his tongue and said "ahh"..  I was beginning to think this wasn't Mitch at all and he had been switched with some other kid..  But I digress..  It came back positive so he wasn't going anywhere for the rest of the day.  Naturally, I was working from home again.  This time, he did not sleep.  He was eating, playing, jumping, had so much energy I didn't understand it..  Yes, he had a fever but he had all the energy of a normal 4 year old.  Thankfully, he still allowed me to get work done because he plays well on his own.  Had no problem also just chilling and watching a movie either.  And then, he crashed..  Right in his SpongeBob Mac and Cheese..  Just passed out mid forkful while watching The Backyardigans.  I didn't have the heart to move him (the fork was no longer in his mouth) so I just let him sleep for a bit..

Naturally, the phone rings and it's school.  Max has a temp of 102 and needs to go home.. Well, I know where he's going instead; straight to the doctor for a rapid strep test.  If Mitch has strep and his only symptom is a high fever, I can guarantee you that Max has strep too.  I was more sure of this than I was the Patriots were going to cover the 14 point spread in the 02 Super Bowl..  (I even put $35 on it I was so sure)..  Yes, I know.. lame..

So when Mitch woke up we went to pick up Max..  Sure enough, he comes bounding down the hallway, all excited, shows me the artwork he made and has no idea he's even sick..  We go to the doctor's office and while we're waiting I hear "Daddy, I gotta go pee".  Ugh, OK.  So the three of us cram into this little bathroom that an adult would have trouble fitting into never mind an adult and two 4 year olds..  So Mitch goes pee, which I guess I should just be happy he told me.. And we walk out and sure enough, they had called our name.  So Max immediately says "I don't want a shot!"..  I had to reassure him he wasn't getting a shot, he was just going to have a couple of large Q Tips shoved down this throat.. Hmm..  I wonder if the shot wasn't a better option.. 

Anyway, while waiting for the results, yes of course, Max says he has go to potty.  Once again we cram into the bathroom the size of an apartment in the East Village and he does his business.  Finally, the nurse comes out and says "Positive!" and I literally threw my arms up in the air in delight..  Listen, I don't want my kids to be sick, but if I have to be home anyway with one, it's only a matter of time before the other one gets it.  I'd rather them be sick at the same time and start them on meds at the same time so they can be done at the same time.  It just makes life easier.  Like when parents send their kids to chicken pox parties.. Do parents still do that anymore?

Knowing I'd be home with Max all day Thursday, I let them sleep a little later hoping they would feel well when they woke up.  We sent Mitch to school because it had almost been 24 hours since he started the meds and he had already had 3 doses by the time he went.  Max however had to stay in the car because he had to stay away from school during his "contagious" period.  You would have thought the world was ending..  Remember the scene in Just One of the Guys where the two aliens are picked to be on separate teams for gym dodge ball?  Remember the awful nails on a blackboard, ear-drum puncturing screech they made while being pulled apart?  Yeah, it was something like that..  They have absolutely zero separation anxiety from us (which I love), but from each other is a different story.  Cute, yet sometimes a little annoying..

I had 2 RFP's (Request For Proposal) and a client pitch to work on while my boss is on vacation so at least  there was nothing going on.  Max for some reason wanted to watch the show Chuck.  Not that prime program on NBC, this was a show about a truck named Chuck and his adventures with his friends.  GENIUS!  Just add that to another list of great ideas I didn't have.  However since there was only 1 Chuck episode On Demand (or On Mand as they like to call it) he watched it 5 times in a row..  I thought of sticking a pen in my ears so I didn't have to hear the theme song anymore.. 

By the time Amy came home from picking Mitch up I was lying on the floor almost passed out while Max watched some movie I didn't know we owned.  The Reef?  Kind of like a budget Finding Nemo I think..  Never seen it before.  They both went to school today and were totally fine.  No problems at all.  I completed my portion of 1 RFP and went to the client presentation.  Just 1 more RFP to go. 

And now, we get to tonight..  After work Amy drove to Maine with Cadi and it was chicken patties and homemade pizza bagels for dinner.  Of course served with a healthy does of Super Hero Squad.

2 comments:

  1. Someone's going to find this and beat me to the development deal with ABC. How would you like to be the lead-out to "Modern Family"?

    ReplyDelete