Rock Fists

Rock Fists

Monday, June 25, 2012

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!

Well, this past spring the day had finally come for the boys' first soccer practice.. You can't really call it a game as it was more like herding cats than an actual game.. My first thoughts when signing the boys up for soccer were that one kid would kick the ball and then sit down and cry because the ball wasn't passed back to him and the other kid would just go around kicking everyone in the shins..  I'll leave it to you to guess which was which..

In any event, it wasn't so bad.. Although the kids were all over the place (there were about 20 of them) things were relatively contained.  The parents were semi-involved which was good and they kept the kids moving around for the majority of the time, which I guess is the point at the U4 level.

One thing I did notice was that every parent, grandparent, guardian or whomever had a cup of coffee in their hand.  Now, it certainly wasn't balmy out at 10a Sat morning, but it was ok.  Seriously if Dunkin Donuts would just get a mobile van and take it to all the parks around town where kids are playing baseball, soccer, etc they would make a fortune (even more than they already make)!  Fortunately for me I don't drink coffee.  Unfortunately for me, I am always tired.

It will be interesting to see how they progress with soccer and whether or not they want to continue. They're starting to get into things like music and instruments. I definitely want to encourage trying different things.  We're researching possibly signing one of them up for Ju Jitsu, but I just saw a take down of some kid on Tosh.0 last night that makes me re-think that research.

I certainly don't want to restrict them from trying anything, but I also don't want them to get burnt out because of so many activities. Unless one of them develops a 95 mph fastball with a nasty breaking ball.  Then it's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment